8.15.2014

How To: Fried Okra

     Okra is one of those vegetables that doesn't get enough credit. A lot of people have never even heard of it, let alone tasted it. And boy, are those people missing out. I love vegetables. I really do. I'm a firm believer that once you start eating healthy foods on a regular basis your body will actually crave them. I've grown accustomed to a wide variety of produce, but out of all the vegetables in this world, Okra has to be my favorite.
     Mmmm. Just thinking about it is literally making my mouth water. I don't know if it's because I grew up eating Okra straight from my Grandma's garden, or if I was just made to enjoy it's sticky, seedy, unusual texture, but me and Okra were meant for each other. Whip some up tonight, and you will quickly see what I mean. 
     Okra isn't typically one of those vegetables that people eat raw (although I do enjoy it this way too). Most commonly, Okra is fried and served with other Southern favorites. Throw some on a plate with mashed potatoes and fried chicken and I am a happy girl. 
     It's pretty simple to make, but there are definitely some tricks to make it perfect every time. And the best part- from start to finish, it will only take you ten minutes! 



What You'll Need: 
-Okra
-Eggs
-Breadcrumbs
-Salt 
-Pepper
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil 



1. Cut your okra into discs, approximately 0.5" wide. Discard the end pieces. 
2. Create an egg wash. The amount of okra you are making will determine how many eggs you need. On a large plate, gently scramble egg and add salt and pepper and any other spices you want. This is the best way to get your flavor in. If you try to season once the okra is already breaded and cooking, it won't stick. 
3. On another plate, place breadcrumbs. 
4. Dip the okra in the egg wash and then in the breadcrumbs to coat evenly. 



5. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. If you really want to impress your taste buds, and you have some on hand, fry your okra in bacon grease instead of oil. I know, this isn't the healthiest option, but oh man, it's GOOD. This is how my grandma makes it, and I'm always blown away by how amazing it tastes. But, if you want to go with the healthier option, stick to olive oil. It's delicious as well. 



6. Fry on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. If you don't stir enough, your pieces will stick together. When they are done, place them on a paper towel lined plate to soak up excess oil. 



    Now all you have to do it eat it! And trust me, you won't have any trouble with this part. 

No comments

Post a Comment