8.10.2014

How To Deep Clean Your Makeup Brushes

     I'm ashamed to say that it is now 5:00pm on Sunday, and I haven't accomplished much of anything yet today. When I woke up this morning, I went through my usual Sunday morning meal prep routine, but after that I spent most of the day laying on the couch with my laptop. Sometimes you just need a lazy day, so I decided to give myself one. I did, however, manage to muster up enough motivation to give my makeup brushes a much-needed deep cleaning. 
     I would like to tell you that this is something I do once a week, but truth-be-told, it usually only ends up happening twice a month. Oops. I don't know why either, because once I actually force myself to do it, I realize it's so quick and easy, that I could have easily fit it into any other day. Oh well. I guess we all have those nagging tasks that seem to live on our to-do lists. I'm sure there are tons of ways to get your brushes squeaky clean, but this method is super cheap and doesn't damage my brushes. All you'll need is 5 minutes, Johnson's baby shampoo, a spot cleaner spray, an old cloth, and of course, some dirty brushes. 


     Let's get started. The first thing I like to do is get my water running lukewarm. If your water is too hot it can damage your brushes, and if it's too cold it won't sanitize them very well. So be like Goldilocks for a minute, and take the time to find a temperature that's just right. Once you've got it, put a small drop of baby shampoo in your hand. 


  Now get your brush-head thoroughly wet, but tilt the brush downward and be careful not to run the water below the ferrule. If you get a little below there it will be ok, just make sure you dry it off well when you are done. 


     In swirling motions, rub your brush in your hand and cleanse throughly. You will have to repeat this process a few times, until you no longer see any pigment coming out of your brush. Once my brush seems completely clean, I repeat the process again, just to make sure I got any hidden residue. For larger brushes, I usually need to repeat three times, and for smaller eye brushes, twice seems to be enough. 


     Rinse your brush thoroughly. Make sure you don't leave any soap residue on the brush. Gently ring out the bulk of the water with your index fingers. 


     At this point you will want to reshape the brush with your fingers, and then ay it out to dry on a clean cloth. Now, repeat the process with your remaining brushes. 


     Whenever I take the time to deep clean my makeup brushes, I also like to give my other makeup tools a good cleaning. Over time, everything builds up bacteria and excess product, and that can't be good to use on your face. For metal or plastic tools, I find that the easiest way to sanitize them is with a brush spot cleaner and a rag. Simply spray, and wipe until clean. 


     And now we're done! Was it really so hard? Not at all. But on those days when all you want to do is lay around in your pajamas, the smallest tasks can seem monumental. I'm so glad I took the time to do this because it got me out of my lazy day slump and, more importantly, I can finally check it off of my to-do list. And you know how I love checking things off my to-do list. 


     Between deep cleanings, it's always a good idea to spot clean your brushes. I do this after every use because it literally takes 10 seconds. Simply spray your brush and swirl on a clean rag. Right now I'm using the Sephora brand spot cleanser, but there are tons out there, and when I'm finished with this one, I want to try out the Cinema Secrets one. I heard it makes your brushes smell like vanilla. So obviously, I need it. How do you clean your makeup brushes? 

1 comment

  1. "Awesome blog!
    I believe that almost 90 percent of girls are into makeup. They love to try different types of makeup to style them in a different way. Because girls usually get bored of the same style. My sister is really fond of cosmetics. She tries different techniques of makeup to change her look. Last month on her birthday, I gifted her a pack of makeup brushes. Due to my busy routine, I decided to order them online tinyurl.com/profession tinyurl.com/professionalmakeupbrushset//almakeupbrushset / Within 3 days of order I received makeup brushes packed in a wooden case. I was really impressed from their packing. My sister really like them and she is using those brushes to make her more beautiful."

    ReplyDelete