7.18.2014

Chia Seed Benefits + Mama Chia Review

      It seems like every few months  we are hearing about a new superfood that, if you consume it every day, will change your body and, ultimately…YOUR LIFE. And then, a few months after health nuts everywhere have dropped half their life savings on products containing said superfood, they realize that nibbling on some 99 cent kale might just have the same positive effects.
     When it comes to nutrition, there is a wealth of information available to us. Unfortunately, there is an equal amount of misinformation- fad diets, trendy workouts, and downright false advice. The claims and promises found in nutrition and fitness magazines vary greatly, and often completely contradict each other. It’s hard to know what’s real, and what we will one day look back on as a trend. 


     I first discovered chia seeds flipping through the pages of a health magazine. I can’t remember which one, and I don’t even really remember much of what it said. I just know there was a huge photo of them sprawled across the page and the words “superfood” and “did you know?” highlighted the page. I didn’t think much of it. But over the years I began hearing more and more about this magical seed that can flush toxins out of your body, so I had to find out for myself what the fuss was all about. 
     These things are the real deal. They are not a fad that will fade with the years, because their claims to greatness are completely valid and speak for themselves. They are a whole food, and you can’t really argue with that. For starters, they have been said to contain more omega-3 fatty acids than any other food. They provide significant amounts of protein and antioxidants. No big deal. And one of their most favored benefits is their fiber content, which aids in weight loss because the fiber in the seeds makes you feel full, at a minimal calorie cost.
     So yeah, I think they’re pretty legit. To get your daily dose, you can purchase a bag of the seeds, and simply add a tablespoon (which only contains 70 calories) to your smoothie each morning. You can get fancy with it if you want and make chia seed popsicles or other fun desserts, but I prefer mine in drinks. So when I saw the “Mamma Chia” drinks at Whole Foods, I decided to give a few flavors a whirl. 

      
     The first thing I noticed was the price tag, coming in at around $3 a piece. Ouch. They are, however, very tasty, and extremely convenient. It's almost like drinking jello- in a good way. Because they have a long shelf life, I buy a few each month to keep in the fridge and pull them out on those days that I'm running late or just need a quick, healthy snack on the go. And even though they are a little pricey, you can request coupons on their website and they will send you a huge stack of $1 off 2 coupons. Not bad at all. 


No comments

Post a Comment