6.08.2014

Lighter 7-Layer Dip Recipe

     I’m a chips and dip kinda girl. Try tempting me with chocolates and pastries all day, and I will have no trouble resisting. But present me with a spread of tortilla chips and a variety of cheesy, creamy, tomato-filled dips, and it’s over. 
     I used to think this was a weak spot amongst my generally healthy eating habits. My tactic: avoid chips and dip altogether, until eventually I give in and then splurge on a 500-calorie snack. Not anymore. 
     I’ve found that it’s difficult to avoid unhealthy foods that we love completely. Sooner or later, you’re going to give in to that craving. And why shouldn’t you?! There’s no reason to constantly deprive ourselves of the things we love. Instead, I attempt to make lighter versions of my favorite, high-calorie, snacks. “Healthy junk food,” if you will. 
     Today’s temptation: 7-Layer Dip. Find a shallow, medium-sized dish and let the layering commence. 

1. Start with 3/4 cup of fat-free refried beans. 



2. Now layer on 3/4 cup of guacamole. For this step, you can use pre-made guacamole, such as “Wholly Guacamole” or simply mash together 1 avocado, salt, pepper, 1 jalapeño, and 1 tablespoon chopped red pepper. 


3. Now add 1/2 cup of light sour cream. I promise, you won’t notice any difference from the full-fat version besides the texture being a bit thicker. 


4. Next, chop up 1.5 cups of fresh spinach and sprinkle over the sour cream. 



5. Throw on about 1 cup of reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend. 



6. Chop and remove seeds from 1 large tomato and cover your mixture. 



7. Lastly, toss on about 1/4 cup of sliced black olives. 



     If you like to keep things spicy, you can sprinkle your mixture with cayenne pepper. Serve with blue corn tortilla chips. Look for a brand that has less than five ingredients. I like the simply balanced brand from Target. Now, eat up! And don’t waste your time feeling guilty- this lighter version contains only about half the calories of its full-fat counterpart! 

No comments

Post a Comment