6.28.2014

Juice Cleanse Cost

     I’m officially halfway through day 1 of my first ever juice cleanse, and I’ve gotta say, I feel much different than I expected I would. Let me clarify. I thought by now I would be starving. Instead I feel fuller than I ever do after a huge meal. I guess that’s what happens when you consume this much liquid in a day. By the time I finish one juice, it’s just about time to start making my next one! And even though I don’t know how I’m going to get through three more juices today (seriously guys, feeling very full), I would rather have that problem than be starving for 6 days straight. 
     If you read my Juice Cleanse Challenge post, than you already know that I have modeled my juices off of a company that makes pre-made juices called “Suja.” Their juices typically run around $9 each and their cleanse suggests 6 juices each day. This brings your daily total to $54 and brings your 6 day total to $324. 
     My grocery budget wouldn’t allow me to buy pre-made juices, so I decided to make my own. Sure, it’s kind of a lot of work to juice 6 times a day and clean your juicer each time. But if you consider how much time you spend each day preparing and eating your meals, it pretty much comes out even. After making my meal plan and grocery list I expected to spend around $150 on this cleanse. Chris guessed $200. When I added everything up today, I was pleasantly surprised. 


Aldi: $26.19
-Grapes
-Cucumbers
-Celery
-Kale

Wal-Mart: $7.92
-Mint
-Coconuts

Trader Joe’s: $5.99
-Raw Almonds

Whole Foods: $23.54
-3 Suja Juices
-Turmeric Root

Harris Teeter: $3.99
-Dandelion Greens

Sam’s Club: $44.62
-Spinach
-Collard Greens
-Apples
-Lemons

Target: $16.11
-Carrots
-Ginger Root
-More Kale

Total: $128.36
$21.39/day
$3.57/juice 

     Pretty good right? Now, I do want to point out that, for the most part, I didn’t buy organic produce. Instead, I opted to wash my fruits and veggies thoroughly before using them, and to peel whatever I could. I did splurge for all organic greens, because they are easy to find organic and not much more expensive. If you are currently doing this cleanse, let me know how you’re feeling! And if you are considering doing it sometime in the future, I hope this post offers some encouragement that doing a juice cleanse doesn't have to break the bank. 

No comments

Post a Comment