6.03.2014

Eating for Healthy Skin

       I'm a major skincare junkie. You name it- I've tried it. I can't tell you how many times I've been disappointed by products that claimed to perform miracles on my skin, but instead left it looking and feeling worse. Yet somehow, I continue to fall for their crazy claims, in hopes that one day, I will actually find some miracle products.       
      Truth be told, I don't think these products exist. Sure, there are ingredients that work better than others, and I mean, who doesn't want to believe that healthy skin is just an overpriced bottle of moisturizer away? I know I do. But at the end of the day, the health of your skin is largely dependent on what you eat.
     By adding a few basic ingredients to your meals- and cutting out a few-you will notice a drastic difference in the appearance of your skin. 


1. Yogurt and Oatmeal: Are wrinkles your biggest skin concern? Try swapping your morning bagel for a cup of yogurt or a bowl of oatmeal. 
2. Sunflower Seeds: I wouldn't recommend skipping your SPF altogether, but adding sunflower seeds to your diet is a great way to boost your skin's sun protection. Try adding them to salads, or mixing them into a trail mix. 
3. Kidney Beans: If you struggle with acne, then this one's for you. Kidney beans are an excellent source of zinc, a mineral that has been linked numerous times to healthy, acne-free skin. How I incorporate them into my diet- chili, salads, and salsa!
4. Green Tea and Edamame: These two will keep your skin balanced and even, by reducing redness and hyperpigmentation. Edamame makes for a great appetizer, and a super fulfilling snack. Try serving your green tea over ice with a squeeze of lemon for a fun summer poolside drink! 


Other great additions include:
-Sweet Potatoes
-Green Smoothies
-Spinach 
-Blueberries
-Salmon
-Avocados 
-Broccoli 
-Cucumber 

Avoid: -Wheat 
-Dairy *For acne-prone skin*

 

     As a general rule, fruits and vegetables have a great effect on our bodies, inside and out. So if you're looking for a way to add some glow to your skin, try incorporating a green smoothie into your daily routine. It's a great way to take in a plethora of nutrients in one delicious drink. Lastly, drink so much water that you have to pee at least every hour. That's right. If you aren't going that often, you aren't drinking enough! 


No comments

Post a Comment