5.12.2014

Lighter Mashed Potato Recipe

     Anyone who knows me at all knows that my favorite food is mashed potatoes. It has been ever since I was a little girl. I remember being four years old and choosing leftover mashed potatoes as my “dessert,” when my siblings and cousins were choosing things like brownies and popsicles. 

      I haven’t changed a bit. I still love mashed potatoes more than any other food that I have tried. When I make some as a side dish for dinner, I always make a huge batch so that I can snack on the leftovers for the next week. 

     In the health community, potatoes get a bad rap. But they actually have a lot to offer nutritionally. Even though they are a starchy carb, they contain tons of fiber, protein, several vitamins, and more than double the potassium of a banana. Potatoes are actually fairly low in calories and contain a negligible amount of fat. 



     It’s the way that we prepare potatoes that make them an enemy in the health world. Potatoes are often slathered in butter, topped with cheese, and fried in oil. But this staple vegetable can be prepared in a much healthier way and still taste awesome. 

     A few years ago, I decided to try to make a healthier batch of mashed potatoes. The most important step in this process: eliminate the butter. You won’t believe it until you try them, but I actually prefer these mashed potatoes to any others. 

     First, peel and boil your potatoes until they are very tender. 

     Once you’ve drained them, place them into a large bowl filled with 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup light sour cream, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 2 teaspoons of pepper. Blend until very smooth. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. 

     If you like your potatoes extra smooth, you can always add more milk. 

Ingredients: 
-3 lbs. Organic Russett Potatoes, Peeled 
-1/2 Cup Skim Milk 
-2 Tsp Salt 
-2 Tsp Pepper 
-1/2 Cup Light Sour Cream



     Since they are significantly lighter in calories than traditional mashed potatoes, I don’t feel so bad when I eat bowl after bowl. 

4 comments